Past Exhibits: Bookstacks to Artifacts

The building that houses the Chapel Hill Museum was built in 1968 to be the town's public library. It served this purpose for thirty years, at which point a group of dedicated citizens approached the town to see if the then-empty building might serve as the home for the Museum the group had been planning to open. The Town of Chapel Hill agreed, and the building was transformed from a house for bookstacks to a repository for artifacts. The Chapel Hill Public Library is now located just off Estes Drive.

This exhibit includes architect Donald Stewart's model of and architectural drawings for the original building as well as a brief history of the Library and The Chapel Hill Museum.

(919) 967-1400 / fax (919) 967-6230
info@chapelhillmuseum.org
523 East Franklin St., Chapel Hill, NC 27514